The 环境研究 Program is an interdisciplinary program that stimulates informed democratic citizenship in a global environment and enhances knowledge of the complex and dynamic relationship between humans and the natural world. All students seeking an 环境研究 degree should consult with the 环境研究 Coordinator early in their college experience to ensure the most appropriate course of study to achieve their goals. The program features both a major and a minor.
Learning goals for the 环境研究专业:
- Understand this multidisciplinary field of study, and identify courses that provide the breadth and depth of knowledge needed for their chosen career path in environmental studies.
- Analyze a complex environmental issue using appropriate sources and include the 道德 underpinnings of the issue.
- Connect theory and practice through either participating in an internship, 或者完成一个研究项目, 与环境研究相关.
- Evaluate the importance of an environmental topic to local and global communities and reflect critically on their relationship to that topic.
Core Courses (required and earn a grade of C- or above)
- EV110. 环境研究概论(一)
- EV130. 环境生物学(4)
- EV251. 在美国创建绿色社会.S. (3)
- PH219. 环境伦理(3)
- EV350. 全球环保主义(三)
- EV370, EV371. 环境研究实习 (1-4) OR EV391, EV392. 环境研究(1-2)
- EV481. 环境研究顶点(一)
- PO105. 美国政治制度(三)
- EC120. 经济学原理(3)
- EN210 / BU250. Business and Professional Writing/Written Business Communication (3)
Concentration Courses (required and earn a grade of C- or above):
Choose at least 6 courses, with at least 4 @ 300 level
(4 courses from one concentration and 2 courses from the other concentration)
- AT110. 数字媒体概论(三)
- CJ361 / SO361. 犯罪学(3)
- CJ235 / PO235. Introduction to the Criminal Justice System (3)
- CO251. 公共关系概论(三)
- CO310. 小组沟通(3)
- CO343 / OL343. 沟通与冲突(3)
- CO360. 危机沟通(3)
- CO470. 说服性活动(3)
- EN212. 写作与环境(三)
- EN308. Beyond the Page: Writing in Multiple Modes (3)
- ET340. 创业基础(3)
- HI206. 文化地理(3)
- IS240. 信息系统基础(3)
- OL310. 小组与团队动力学(3)
- OL385. Leadership, Diversity and Multiculturalism (3)
- PO201 / SO201. Statistical Methods in the Behavioral 科学 (3)
- PO221. 国际关系概论(三)
- SO120. 人类学概论(三)
- SO330. 性别社会学(3)
- SO390. 环境社会学(3)
- SO365. 全球化社会学(3)
- BI102. 可持续发展原则(4)
- BI125. 本地植物(4)
- BI220. 田间生态(4)
- BI280. 生态之旅(四)
- BI314. 生态学(4)(pre-req. = BI105/155 and BI108/158 or consent of instructor)
- BI325. 脊椎动物生物学(4. = BI108/158或导师同意)
- BI326. 植物生物学(4. = BI108/158或导师同意)
- BI340. 保护生物学(4)(pre-req. = BI105/155 or BI108/158 or BI130 or consent of instructor)
- CH105. 地球与空间科学(4)
- CH114. 化学基础(4)
- ES321. 健康与污染(3)
- MA130/131. Elementary Probability and Statistics with Spreadsheets (4) OR BI240. 生物数据分析(4)
- PH223. Scientific Revolutions: History and Philosophy of Science (3)
课程每学期都有变化, so this list should not be considered a commitment to these individual topics. However, this does represent a list of many of our current and popular courses. The list is provided so that you can begin to imagine your academic career at Millikin in this major.
这门课, required of all 环境研究 majors, introduces students to the diversity of opportunities in environmental studies. 学生 will engage in contemporary readings in environmental studies and be introduced to possible career choices. This is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业.
这门课, which satisfies the Natural Science with Laboratory general education requirement, provides students with an overview of the principles of environmental biology. 学生 will also look at the relationship between humans and their environment, the environmental problems that we face such as, 人口增长, 空气污染, 水污染, 以及能源使用, and the potential solutions to these problems. 这门课 is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业 and meets the Category 1 course requirement of the 环境研究 Minor.
这门课 is designed to explore the role of various social structures that will be needed to develop a green society in the U.S. 具体地说, the course will provide an overview of global biodiversity and its importance, 它面临的威胁, 以及解决这些威胁的方法. This exploration will be made within the context of describing the importance of 经济 models, 政治制度, and individual philosophy as both a cause of our current environmental challenges and in the development of a sustainable society. 这门课 is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业 and meets the Category 1 course requirement of the 环境研究 Minor.
这门课 will study global environmental issues from a cultural, 道德, 政治, 经济, 科学观点. Some of the issues addressed will be environmental ethics, 可持续发展, 濒危物种, 森林砍伐, 气候变化, 生物技术, 转基因生物, environmental justice and environmental activism. 这门课 is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业 and meets the Category 1 course requirement of the 环境研究 Minor.
A supervised, practical experience for the 环境研究专业. A cooperative arrangement between the University and not-for-profit organizations, 政府机构, 行业或其他实体. 学生 must complete 40 hours of work to receive 1 credit of internship. Prerequisite: Junior or senior standing and consent of the 环境研究 Coordinator. This is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业.
Research experience in collaboration with a Millikin faculty member. A minimum of three hours of work per week for every hour of credit is expected. Pre-requisite: Junior or senior standing and consent of the 环境研究 Coordinator. This is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业.
这门课, which is required of all 环境研究专业s, 是专业的高潮体验吗. The course will provide the opportunity for presentation of either a research or internship experience to a general audience, 以及同龄人. This is a Core Course of the 环境研究专业.